Monday, October 21, 2013

Uncle Poodle

In Defense of 
Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

I get the same reaction every time. Face cringed and with disgust on their tongue, the same inevitable question "How can you watch that show?" Right then and there I know, for a fact, that they haven't seen a single episode. 

It's an understandable reaction. The family's known for being overweight, living right next to train tracks and makin' skettie sauce with ketchup and butter.  Their cringe worthy status is why I wanted to watch the show in the first place. I do this from time to time, after a long / tiring / bad day, I watch trashy reality TV in order to make myself feel better. Sitting on my high horse, in the comfort of my home, I can proudly proclaim "At least I'm not like those people." And, sleep a little better that night. Their problems make mine seem not so bad. And then there was Honey Boo Boo.

I couldn't wait to watch the train wreck unfold. And, the show didn't disappoint, unhealthy meals, breath smelling games, fork lift foot. Utterly fantastic trashy reality TV goodness. So, why wasn't I feeling superior inside? Why wasn't it affecting me the same? What was happening to me?

Through all the farts, sneezes and rambling hillbilly speak was a really awesome family. Momma June's kids are her life and she loves being around them. Sugar Bear (Momma June's now husband) just loves June and the kids, even though only one is biologically his (Honey Boo Boo). I know the show is only a slice of their life, but in that slice, they're having a damn good time. And, it made me wish I had something like that too. 
Growing up, our family time was always tainted by either my sister or our grandma, sometimes both. They are afflicted with, what I call, Cuntitus. They just can't help being controlling, drama stirring, cunty people. And, time hasn't slowed them down. Cuntitus persists.

So, while I can make marinara sauce from the veggies and herbs from my garden, exercise regularly and have completely healthy blood test results, The Boo Boo family has something I just won't have access to, truly rewarding family experiences. In the long run, I feel like I'm the one that's actually missing out.



No comments:

Post a Comment