Thursday, July 14, 2011

Some Like It Hot



My mom sent me the VHS of Some Like It Hot that I used to watch growing up. 



I know the entertainment industry is saturated with the skinny girl look, but it really hits home when you see Marilyn Monroe. Like, I could see her elbow fat in one scene. She actually had elbow fat. She had a belly too, thighs and arms! It's incredible that her shape was once sexy in Hollywood and today she would be cast in roles as the quirky chunky girl married to an obese man. I'm torn, it would be amazing to live during an era where a realistic body image is considered sexy, but sexism was so prevalent then that you wouldn't have freedom. Is the "skinny girl" modern man's last attempt to trap and hold women down? Or am I just exhausted, nostalgic & not thinking clearly? (Did I just have a Carrie Bradshaw moment? I think it's time for bed.)

On a good note, I quit one of my jobs, down to 2 ;) and finished planting my veggie garden today. My parents are sending me a juicer as an early birthday present, this way I can juice my way to 30. Literally, the last month of my 20's I will be living on juice and juice alone, mostly green veggie. I start on the 25th of this month. It will be weird to be 30. I've gotten so used to being in my 20's, but I can't say that I'll miss my 20's, what a tough, confusing, and struggling time. It's strange that I've accomplished nothing that I thought I would have by 30. I'm a bit lost, in life and for words.







© Dolphin & Condor

1 comment:

  1. This was a really thoughtful post, thanks for posting it.

    I'm glad to hear you finally quit one of your jobs! Congrats!

    Looking forward to helping you celebrate your 30th, whatever form it ends up taking.

    There is something amazing about turning 30. There's a lot of bullshit you put up with in your 20s that you don't have to anymore. So many times I've said to myself, "I'm thirty years old, I don't have to [blank] anymore if I don't want to."

    ReplyDelete