Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Genius

Where do I stand?
On a recent episode of Radiolab, the guys were discussing genius. More importantly, the source of genius.

Were they born or made?

A theory was proposed that these successful geniuses had simply clocked in so many hours, 10,000 to be precise,that they became great at what they were doing.

In other words practice makes perfect, er, successful.

I derived from this that most people lack the passion and/or drive
in order to accumulate that many working hours to reach the genius/successful level. Since fabric design has become an obsession of mine I decided to calculate where I stand currently with
hours clocked.

According to my Spoonflower account I have, to date, 390 designs. I have been designing fabric for 1 year and six months. Some designs Have taken me months to complete, others I crank through in what feels like seconds. So I decided to say that each design took 1 hour. That gives me 390 hours of fabric design work. This does not include creating color palettes, adjusting file designs to better improve the repeats, designs I've been working on for months that I haven't posted, designs I never liked enough to post, etc.
I looked at that number and felt cheated! In my world, I have been eating, sleeping, and dreaming fabric to the point I sometimes feel like I'm losing my mind.

Plus all of this would not be possible without art school which I attended twice. The first school I spent 4 years at, taking over a full load of classes most semesters. Once I finished my BFA, I spent 3 years as a working artist before going back for more college level design courses. Shouldn't those hours count too? My last stint of schooling totals another 2 years.

I decided to add these hours to my fabric design
as they are the foundation.

Art school= 6 years total
6y x 42w(y)= 252w
252w x 7d= 1,764d
1,764 x 8h(d)= 14,112h

Working Artist= 3 years
3y x 52w(y)= 156w
156w x 7d= 1,092d
1,092d x 4h(d)= 4,368h

Fabric design= 1y 6m
390de x 1h= 390

y = years, w(y)= weeks worked that year, h= hours, h(d)= hours a day worked, de= designs,

Grand Total= 18,870h


No comments:

Post a Comment